Tuesday, May 29, 2012

d.i.y Journals

So since getting married, Monty and I have moved into the bellflower ward and after 1 month i received my first calling as a Young Woman Advisor! This past week i had to teach about personal records which was so perfect for me. I've been keeping a journal since i was about 10 years old, from simple entrys about days spent with mom to teardropping ex boyfriends breaking my heart! I was so thrilled to teach this lesson and I thought it would be such a good idea to get the girls some journals of their own. Well since being a newlywed with a new car and a new job and new bills to pay, it isn't that easy to just buy fun things anymore SO i resorted to the next best thing! I made these adorable lace trimmed cereal box journals that cost me no more that 1 dollar each and all the things i used were recyclable!

I started with an empty cereal box that we were just going to toss!



I cut down the sides splitting the box in half and tried my best to keep it even! 




                                                                 almost there!

                                               
                                      so now we have half a box and with this, i made 2 journals!


I traced my book of mormon :) and made a square and then used that
as my legend for the rest of the journals so they'd all be the same size!


I rounded the corners a bit to add a little bit of pretty! 


Then of course, follow the lines and cut straight!!




voalah! a perfectly cut little journal!!

After I cut it, I folded it straight down the center and used my ruler to make the fold as straight as possible! I did notice that cardboard is harder to flatten out so don't be afraid to use your scissors to press down the cardboard since you'll be covering it with lace! 


folded...


the inside!- i also want to add that i left the inside just like this so that the girls could glue some pass•a•long cards or favorite scriptures that mean something to them!


                                             i used the cardboard cutout and traced it on pink
                                          paper and then stapled it from the outside stapling ALL
                                                              of the papers together!


after doing so, i used glue dots to place the lace along the rim of the journal. I only glued on the outside and glued the lace trip onto both sides.So basically you just put the rim of the book in the middle of the with of the lace and each side gets equal amount of lace!  I purchased 1 1/2 yard of lace from joann's fabrics for $1.50! I also found a corner punch on sale for $5 dollars so if you feel more comfortable using a corner punch it would definitely work around the edges!



The girls absolutely loved their little journals and were so excited to write their adventures or scriptures! They loved the journals so I hope that if you ever use this tutorial your girls love their journals as much as mine did!!


xo
Mayra!

No comments:

Post a Comment